Monday, January 13, 2014

Me and Elijah

I recently listened to a sermon by Tim Keller called "The Still, Small Voice," and it was quite convicting (so much so that I'm listening to it again as I write).

Keller preaches on 1 King 19:1-18 where Elijah flees to Mount Horeb because his plan didn't work. Elijah was convinced  Ahab and Jezebel would repent or the people would throw their leaders out, but that did not happen; instead, Jezebel threatens to kill him, completely unrepentant. So Elijah runs away downcast.

 The reason Elijah is downcast is because he puts God in a box.

"Elijah thought This is the plan...God has to overthrow Ahab and Jezebel now; he either has to overthrow them spiritually... or overthrow them physically. And now he is despondent because here's why: God has not let him down; his plan has let him down, and he identified God with his plan." - Tim Keller

With my plan to go to South Sudan not happening (as of now), this struck a chord in me because that's the thing: It's my plan. And while deciding to go to South Sudan had me feeling like I was running towards the Lord for the first time in months, it was still my idea, my agenda.

The longer the unrest in South Sudan continues, the more I've prayed and begged God to let me go somewhere overseas even if it wasn't in Africa. After all, how could God not honor my desire to go overseas and show children His love?! Not only that, but people have been so generous in their giving that the idea of sending the checks back to them is flat out depressing.

However, this sermon made me realize that I am no different than Elijah. I've put God in a box and put parameters on how I want Him to work in my life, and I've become depressed because the plan hasn't worked out.

So even though I am still bringing my desire to go overseas before the Lord, I am trying to lift the box that I've put on the Him and be open to where he leads me-- be it here or in another country.

No comments: